Monday, October 28, 2013

Review of Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Allegiant 
Author: Veronica Roth 
Series: Divergent Series #3
Rating: 3.5 Groupie Stars

10616322

Synopsis
One choice will define you.

What if your whole life was a lie?  
What if a single revelation-like a single choice-changed everything?
What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected?

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered---fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal.  So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits, she's known, Tris is ready.  Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple life together, free from complicated lies, tangled, loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind.  Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless.  Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves.  And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature--and of herself--while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

"Life damages us, every one. We can't escape that damage. But now I am also learning this: We can be mended. We mend each other."

My Review
I felt like I waited FOREVER for this book to finally come out!  I loved this series from page one of Divergent to the last page of Insurgent.  Then I had to wait again for Allegiant to come out.  I pre-ordered it months in advance and checked my mail box a hundred times the minute Amazon said it had shipped.  I avoided all reviews because I wanted to go into the last book with pure thoughts and my own ideas of what was about to happen to Tris and Tobias(Four).  After reading Allegiant, I would have to say I am a little disappointed in the writing of the book and even the way it ended but I will NOT give spoilers!! Sigh....

Allegiant begins where Insurgent left off, with Tris and her friends locked up for participating in the uprising.  Tobias is Evelyn's right-hand man and also her son.  Evelyn is the new leader and is trying to bring everyone back under her control and rid the city of factions through brute force and any other means necessary.  While Tobias doesn't agree with what his mother is doing, he continues to follow her orders until he can find a way out.  Caleb, Tris's brother is also locked up and is awaiting his trial for helping Janine create and administer the mind warping drugs given to Dauntless to kill Abnegation people.

“He is a part of me, always will be, and I am a part of him, too. I don't belong to Abnegation, or Dauntless, or even the Divergent. I don't belong to the Bureau or the experiment or the fringe. I belong to the people I love, and they belong to me- they, and the love and loyalty I give them, form my identity far more than any word or group ever could. I love my brother. I love him, and he is quaking with terror at the though of death. I love him and all I can think, all I can hear in my mind, are the words I said to him a few days ago : I would never deliver you to your own execution  

“To me, when someone wrongs you, you both share the burden of that wrongdoing - the pain of it weighs on both of you. Forgiveness, then, means choosing to bear the full weight all by yourself. Caleb's betrayal is something we both carry, and since he did it, all I've wanted is for him to take its weight away from me. I am not sure that I'm capable of shouldering it all myself - not sure that I am strong enough, or good enough."

Tobias, Tris, Cara, Christina, Uriah, Peter, and a few others decide to leave and head to the fringe to find out what is out there.  What they find is the Bureau.  They find out that the Bureau has been monitoring them for generations and is doing scientific experiments to create the "perfect" human, not only in Chicago but across the country.  While at the Bureau, Tris and her group of misfits find out a lot of background history on their city and the many secrets kept from them and the others.  Tris finds out where her mother came from and that she was not born in the city but was actually placed in Dauntless by the Bureau as a spy.

“I take a deep breath. I'm not sure where that swell of desperation came from, but know that I've acknowledge it, it's impossible to ignore, like a living thing has awakened from a long sleep inside me. It writhes in my stomach and throat. I need to leave. I need the truth.” 

“Knowledge is power. Power to do evil...or power to do good. Power itself is not evil. So knowledge itself is not evil."

Tris and Tobias have a hard time figuring out their own identity and where they belong as the secrets are unveiled.  Rifts and bad decisions begin to pull them apart instead of strengthening their bond.  Will the answers they are seeking bring them back together or will their bond break with more death and destruction than they can handle?

“Since I was young, I have always known
this: Life damages us, every one. We
can’t escape that damage.
But now, I am also learning this: We
can be mended. We mend each other.”


“I don't belong to Abnegation, or Dauntless, or even the Divergent. I don't belong to the Bureau or the experiment or the fringe. I belong to the people I love, and they belong to me-they, and the love and loyalty I give them, form my identity far more than any word or group ever could.” 

“It reminds me that no embrace will ever feel the same again, because no one will ever be like her again, because she's gone. She's gone, and crying feels so useless, so stupid, but it's all I can do.”


The disappointment in this book is palpable.  I loved this series and even though Insurgent was a little predictable I still enjoyed it and the development of the characters.  Allegiant fell flat in the growth of the characters.  I think there was too much trying to be told and answered, to adequately tell a great story.




No comments:

Post a Comment